Tuesday, August 13, 2013

On Weight and Clutter - RE-Boot Camp

To tackle my personal nemesis of weight and clutter, I am taking myself to  boot camp.  (I am a US Navy veteran, after all).  This is not going to be like one of those intense "kill-myself" extreme exercise drop 5 sizes in 3 weeks programs.  And my attack on the clutter is not going to be like an episode of "Clean House" or "Extreme Clutter" where everything magically disappears over the course of a few days.  My plan of attack is RE-Boot Camp.

What is RE-Boot Camp?  It is Realistic Expectation Boot Camp.  The body I live in currently has limits that won't be overcome in a few weeks.  Period.  Am I helpless?  No.  Can I conquer this mountain of weight and clutter in my current condition?  Yes.  And it will take time.  And consistency.   And most of all it will take being loving enough to my Self to have reasonable expectations based on my circumstances in the Now.

A more recent diagnosis of the body I live in has made it difficult for me to go for the long walks I was enjoying previously on a daily basis.  And I can't walk at all in temperatures much above 80 degrees at this time without having hard-hitting symptoms manifest in my body.   Which means my dear dog-child, Oreo isn't getting enough exercise.  And we are apartment dwellers, so I can't let him run in a back yard while I look on.  He is suffering.  He is restless.  My Realistic Expectation in the NOW is that I am not able to give my dog the care he needs.  Could I get better in the future?  Of course!!  Yet, right now is what I need to concentrate on instead of flooding my brain with a myriad of potentialities based on "what ifs".

So one of the first things to do in my RE-boot Camp is find a new adoptive home for my loving dog, Oreo.  I trust that God and the Universe will find the right home.   Realistic expectations means letting go of what is not working in the now.  This is tough.  This isn't pretty.  Bittersweet and sad.
Yet, I know it is best for all concerned.   I'm ready to do the hard stuff.  Are YOU ready?


2 comments:

  1. I'm a dog trainer in the Inland Empire and one of my friends directed me to your blog. I hope I can help and you don't have to get rid of your fur child. Yes, exercise is very important especially for a dog living in an apartment but there are other outlets you can utilize. Are there any dog parks near you? Could you hire a dog walker even once a week? Could your daughter walk your dog? A neighborhood kid? Can you hide treats around the apartment to stimulate him mentally and physically? Do you know anyone who offers agility or scent work near you? Can you take him to the park on a long line or off leash and throw a ball? There are other options, not walking him does not make you a bad dog mom and does not make him a depressed dog. Some dogs do just fine without long walks, honestly many never get long walks. Just my two cents as a trainer I hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww.....I hope you don't have to get rid of Oreo...he's family.

    Hope somehow you can keep him

    ReplyDelete