Friday, August 30, 2013

On Weight and Clutter - Lifting the Heaviness of Being Home Bound

Yes I have some diagnoses in the body that I live in which often have me home bound.   And I often need extra sleep in the daytime.  There are needed health treatments that I can only  give myself in my home.  And this makes looking at the clutter even more oppressive and heavy.  Now, as I ponder again, I realize that I am making this more difficult for myself by lacking grace and a compassionate perspective.

I am an extrovert by nature, so staying home all of the time by myself is not my cup of tea.  I get energy by being around people.  And when I am feeling my best, I look around at my apartment's current state and see that I don't want to be here at all.  Even to enjoy some of my quiet endeavors like reading.  So perhaps, at times, some of my "needed" sleep is really a way of escaping the clutter which really only makes the load heavier.  So how do I get out of this loop?

I believe I need to structure more outings in my life (besides doctor and chiropractor appointments, that is).  I sometimes have not  allowed myself to get out when I feel guilt over the state of my household.  And the consequence?  More fatigue, and more clutter. I know now that for me getting out some will open a space of grace to cope with the clutter.  And most of all, dealing with the clutter, one piece at a time will open up the space so that I can get out and have more people in.

So I am going to schedule a couple of hours a week volunteering at my church.  I am going to schedule a lunch or dinner outing at least once a week.  And church choir starts back this week too.  I'm going to join a local business association and actually attend some of their events each month.  I am not going to overload my calendar.  Just add a few tidbits of socializing and joy to my life.

Meanwhile, I will continue to  fighting the good fight at home one piece of paper or bag of clothes at a time to rid my life of this weight and clutter for good.

And that's Penny's two cents.

1 comment:

  1. that is good. I know that it's hard, but I hope you can get out...I totally understand. Love ya Penny
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete