Monday, February 17, 2014

On Weight and Clutter: The Weight of Dread

Yes, I received ANOTHER diagnosis recently:  pre-diabetes.  And a visit with a nutritionist helped me realize I wasn't eating enough in the morning which was contributing to my low energy in the daytime.  And what is really important is that now I realize the diet that my extremely cherished fibromyalgia doctor recommended to me six years ago would have likely prevented and can ultimately cure my last two diagnoses.  Furthermore,  I've been complaining about my health for several years (aka saying that this part of my life is sh*&) when the source of the stench is that I've had my head up my ass and not doing something that a valued physician recommended and I knew would really be helpful!!

The diet that Dr.  St. Amand recommends he calls the HG (hypoglycemic) diet.  He recommends a strict version for patients who are overweight (me) that cuts out all starches, sugar, starchy vegetables, and most fruits.  And interestingly enough, all of the diets that I researched for some of my other health conditions aka lipedema, lymphedema, multiple sclerosis, pre-diabetes fall within the same parameters of  my doctor's HG diet.  Consistently all diets for inflammatory conditions recommend cutting out sugar, processed grains, and gluten.  Now it's time to get off my butt and do what I knew I should have been doing for several years.  No excuses.

I started this a few weeks ago in conjunction with using a smartphone fitness app that records my food intake, steps walked, and exercise.  Then I fell off the wagon for about five days and felt bad and slept more.  Why did this happen?   I have allowed the heavy weight of dread to take over my life.  Yes, fatigue is a real issue for me.  But it is impossible to get anything done when I begin to anticipate the healthy activity as being a drain.  So I often was not cooking and doing meal substitutes (which are ok on occasion).  This was worse than the dread of fatigue from having to prepare, cook, and clean up.  In fact when I am honest with myself I realize that there have been times in my life I really enjoyed cooking.

I am no longer going to think about the work or the mess.  I am going to concoct or find new recipes with anticipation and think of it as a creative endeavor.  The work and mess will take care of themselves in due time.  (As I will have more energy to clean)!  Cooking will no longer be viewed by me as a means to an end,  but a joyful experience.  And I am going to introduce a new recipe that works with my diet via my blog each week with my own tips on preparing the recipe.

I feel invigorated and starting to see a way back to lighter living!



2 comments:

  1. Go Penny! Can't wait to see your recipes. I have started Omnitrition and hope to drop som pounds (and dread) myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating better is so hard... I used to be Prediabetic and changed some ways of food intake and less store bought juices, and I'm no longer prediabetic. Thank God.... Now I'm trying to not eat gluten which is hard because it's in everything..... Good luck and enjoy your food adventure

    ReplyDelete