Sunday, March 6, 2016

The Big Win

A couple of months ago, there was a lot of excitement over the prospect of the Power Ball lottery jackpot reaching an all-time high of $1.5 billion,  I repeat 1.5  BILLION dollars!  And like most optimistic Americans, I went out and purchased one of the tickets, thinking why not me?   And amazingly, I was a winner--I  matched the Power number which meant I won a total of $4, which doubled my $2 investment.

Yet even if one does not win the jackpot, one does imagine what one would do with all of that money.  As far as myself, I know I would NOT spend it on $1,000 dollar purses or Jimmy Choo shoes because I am way too practical and I already see a chiropractor.   So what good use could I put to that kind of money?  There's the everyday things.  Perhaps I would buy a modest size home but in an expensive neighborhood because I'd want it on a beach.  It would be nice to have a brand new plug-in hybrid car, because I really don't like wasting my millions on something that contributes to air pollution.

Then, I would spend a little for something a bit more radical.   I could send my daughter with her Dad to Europe.  I could stay in the South of France for a year.  I could send my daughter who I did not give birth to with her family out here to visit and go to Disneyland.   I could get a weekly massage a a at a nice day spa.

But what is the primary thing one considers of doing most of all when one has the possibility of having so much money?  Helping others of course!  I could help that friend or two or three who has been really struggling for so long.  I could finance the church so that it can sustain and expand it's outreach to the community.    I could help others I know who struggle with chronic illnhouess get the healthcare items they need that insurance companies don't cover.  Heck, with a billion dollars I could feed and clothe all of the homeless in the county for 10 years!!!

So, why then, is it that a well-intentioned person such as myself did not win the jackpot?  Perhaps because G-d and the Universe knew that some of these people I would help would be hindered. Perhaps they need the struggle for their own personal growth.  Maybe that friend will rise above himself and allow G-d to show him a path he never imagined possible.  Maybe the members of the church need to stretch themselves as a community so that they can fully demonstrate their faith and practice G-d's love as they never would have dreamed.  Maybe as a society we will decide that it is worth it to give every person the healthcare they really need, because it saves more money in the long run.

Should I ever win big, G-d grant me the discretion to dispense the wealth that was given me in a way that is healthy for all.  And may I do that now with the abundance I already have.

And that's Penny's two cents.


So what are your two cents?  What would you do if you won 1.5 billion dollars?  Please do comment.  I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment